Loutra(=baths) that were in the area, gave their name to the village. The village was an important religious and cultural center of the island.
Loutra was a small town, with over 500 residents. In the 19th century, the monastery of Jesuit monks was built here with its temple dedicated to the founder of the Order St. Ignatius Loyola.
In the Monastery of Jesuits there is a folklore museum. Loutra is well known for the Convent of the Ursulines founded in 1862. The imposing building housed a school for girls and later, the primary school of the village and also, a school of carpet making. It is open to visitors and has a small museum with objects that have survived from the period of its operation as a school.
In summer, the courtyard of the Monastery of Ursulines welcomes cultural events. The Church of St. Joseph dates back to the mid of the 19th century. It surrendered to the ravages of time, but retained the charm of neoclassic Baroque.
Situated 8 km off Chora (Tinos).
Follow the new road network (starting from Τripotamou Av), turn left at the first junction
and right at the second (after Xinara).